Bonding Fasteners To ACM with NovaWeld SignFix 33
Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) consists of a polyethylene core sandwiched between two skins of aluminium. Though the product is renowned for its dimensional stability under extremes of temperature, considerations must be made for the type of mounting adhesive to be used.
Conventional methacrylate adhesive’s produce an exothermic heat reaction upon cure that can result in ‘read through’ and distortion marks on the front face of the sign.
NovaWeld SignFix 33 is a two part structural polyurethane adhesive that gives off no extreme temperature during the cure cycle, thus eliminating unsightly witness marks to the aesthetic face.
1. To obtain the best results, surfaces must be clean, dry and free from oil, grease and any other contaminants that will be detrimental to accepting adhesives.
2. We always recommend abrading wherever possible to ‘key’ both surfaces. This can increase the surface area and enhance bond strength by up to 30%.
3. Subsequent cleaning of both surfaces with a non-residual cleaning solvent such as Novabond Surface Cleaner will further assist the adhesion of the locator to the substrate surface (Plastic locators are produced using a mould release agent, which can be problematic to bond to).
4. Remove cap and repeatedly press Twin Cartridge Dispensing Gun trigger until both parts are dispensing before attaching mixer nozzle. This ensures you mix equal amounts of adhesive and activator.
5. Gun a pool of adhesive onto the ACM panel to house the locator.
6. Sit the locator in the pool of adhesive, paying special attention not to push down too hard, thus pushing all of the adhesive out.
7. Working time is 4 – 6 mins and fixture time is 15 mins depending upon temperature.
Check out our other Best Practice Videos on our dedicated YouTube Channnel
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Innova Solutions: bonding people, fixing problems: +44 (0)1282 867 390